Losing a loved one is painful enough without having to fight for justice. When a wrongful death occurs due to someone else’s negligence or misconduct, the grief of loss can feel overwhelming. Yet, in the midst of sorrow, taking legal action can bring a sense of closure and accountability.
A wrongful death lawyer handles cases where a person or entity caused someone’s death through intentional harm, negligence, or misconduct. These attorneys fight on behalf of grieving families to obtain compensation for funeral costs, lost wages and benefits, pain and suffering, and other damages. They also aim to bring those responsible to justice.
The team at Rockford Personal Injury Lawyers has extensive experience with wrongful death claims. “Over the years, we have helped numerous families find justice after tragic, preventable deaths,” says attorney Paul Marriett. “No amount of money can bring back a loved one, but holding wrongdoers accountable and receiving compensation can facilitate healing.”
Common Causes of Wrongful Death
Wrongful death lawsuits arise from various incidents, including:
- Medical malpractice – When a healthcare provider or hospital makes mistakes, uses poor judgment, or fails to meet the standard of care when treating a patient who then passes away.
- Automobile accidents – Reckless, drunk, or negligent driving those results in a fatal car, motorcycle, pedestrian, or bicyclist collision.
- Workplace accidents – Preventable incidents on construction sites and other worksites leading to a worker’s death.
- Dangerous premises – Property owners failing to maintain safe conditions, leading to slip and falls, drownings, or other accidents causing someone’s death.
- Product liability – Design and manufacturing defects in consumer goods, drugs, or medical devices that lead to loss of life.
The Benefits of a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
Taking legal action after losing a loved one serves several important purposes. It’s about more than just financial compensation – it’s about answers, prevention, and closure.
Benefits of a wrongful death lawsuit include:
- Financial recovery – Compensation to cover burial costs, medical bills, lost future earnings and benefits, pain and suffering damages
- Answers and accountability – The ability to investigate what went wrong and hold responsible parties legally liable through a settlement or court award
- Sparking change – By spotlighting negligence or misconduct, lawsuits can lead organizations to implement safer policies, procedures, and practices
- Justice and closure – Financial damages and accountability measures promote grieving families’ emotional healing and provide a sense of justice
Why Work with a Lawyer?
Navigating the complex legal process following a wrongful death requires working with a knowledgeable lawyer. “Not just any personal injury attorney will do,” attorney Paul Marriett emphasizes. “These sensitive cases require lawyers who specialize in wrongful death.”
Here’s how an accomplished wrongful death lawyer serves clients:
- Conducting thorough investigations into what and who caused the death
- Assessing legal options and building strong cases
- Valuing financial and non-economic damages
- Negotiating aggressively with insurance companies
- Taking cases to court when fair settlements aren’t offered
- Helping families secure rightful compensation
The team at Rockford Personal Injury Lawyers has been exclusively handling wrongful death cases, including medical malpractice suits, for over 20 years. “We have an in-depth understanding of this area of law, and use our expertise to fight relentlessly for our clients,” says attorney Marriett.
If you lost a loved one due to another party’s negligence or misconduct, contact us today for a free case review. Our experienced wrongful death lawyers will help you seek the justice and closure you deserve.
- Wrongful death lawyers handle cases where someone’s death resulted from intentional harm, negligence, or misconduct.
- These attorneys fight to obtain compensation for grieving families and bring those responsible to justice.
- Common wrongful death claims involve medical malpractice, car crashes, workplace accidents, dangerous properties, and defective products.
- Lawsuits after a wrongful death serve purposes beyond just financial recovery – they provide answers, accountability, change, and closure.
- A knowledgeable lawyer who specializes in wrongful death is crucial for building a strong case and securing maximum compensation.
- The team at Rockford Personal Injury Lawyers has over 20 years handling sensitive wrongful death cases, including medical malpractice.
- If you lost a loved one due to negligence or misconduct, contact us for a free consultation – we can help you seek justice.
Losing a loved one unexpectedly is devastating enough without having to fight for justice. When another party’s intentional harm, misconduct, or negligence causes someone’s wrongful death, grieving families can pursue legal accountability. Filing a lawsuit seeks financial compensation, sparks systemic changes, and brings a sense of closure. Working with an accomplished wrongful death attorney is crucial for building a compelling case and securing maximum damages.
At Rockford Personal Injury Lawyers, our legal team has over 20 years assisting families during their time of tragic loss. We conduct thorough investigations, calculate all damages, and aggressively negotiate with insurance companies to obtain justice for our clients. No amount of money can replace your loved one, but holding wrongdoers liable can facilitate healing. If you lost someone you love due to preventable circumstances, contact us today to explore your legal options. We offer free consultations and can help you make sure your voice is heard.
We know how stressful an injury can be. We also know how easy it is not to get your fair share. We’ve helped thousands recover millions from their injuries. We work with all personal injury related issues and worker’s compensation. This includes injuries from car accidents, slip & fall, medical malpractice, dog bites, wrongful death and more. When you get injured from an accident – you need our help. Our personal injury lawyers will provide you with the best legal services – ever. It’s our dedication to help every client. We are more responsive than any other law firm in the area. Our consultation is 100% free and confidential. We do not get paid unless we can win for you. Available Today: (815) 964-8303 Paul Marriett
Rockford Personal Injury Lawyers
6735 Vistagreen Way Suite B, Rockford, IL 61107, United States
Visit Us: https://www.facebook.com/rockfordinjurylawyer/
Who can file a wrongful death lawsuit?
The family members who can sue for wrongful death include the spouse, children, parents, or siblings of the deceased. If there is no surviving spouse, children, or parents, the next eligible group are surviving siblings. To have legal standing for a claim, you must show that you have suffered emotional and financial damages from the wrongful death of your loved one. An experienced wrongful death attorney helps determine the eligible claimants.
What types of damages can be recovered in a wrongful death case?
There are economic damages and non-economic damages in wrongful death cases. Economic damages include the present value of financial support the deceased would have contributed to the family, loss of benefits like health insurance, burial and funeral costs, and medical expenses prior to death. Non-economic damages cover loss of companionship, guidance, love, affection, as well as pain and suffering of family members. An accomplished wrongful death lawyer thoroughly calculates both categories of damages.
Is there a time limit for filing a wrongful death lawsuit?
Yes, wrongful death claims fall under the statute of limitations which provides a time limit for taking legal action. Depending on state laws, families typically have 2-4 years from the date of death to file a lawsuit. The COVID crisis has resulted in extensions for some statute of limitations. Because these deadlines vary and are complex, contacting our attorneys immediately can help preserve your right to sue. We offer free case reviews – call today.
Does worker’s compensation prevent a wrongful death lawsuit?
If the wrongful death resulted from a workplace accident where worker’s compensation was paid, you can still pursue third parties held responsible through a personal injury lawsuit. For example, if faulty equipment or negligence from another company caused the workplace death, they can be sued for damages even if the worker received benefits.
How long do wrongful death claims take to resolve?
Each wrongful death case has its unique circumstances. Typically it can take at least one to two years. Complex medical malpractice claims tend to be lengthier. An experienced attorney builds leverage for aggressively pursuing fair compensation through settlement negotiations or the court system. While a lawsuit takes time, you gain the advantage of seeking justice for your loved one.